Facebook Bans Like-Gating
Facebook Like-Gating Will be Banned on November 5. Facebook has recently made changes that will impact many company pages who use Like-Gating or Fan-Gating apps on their company pages.
A direct quote from Facebook states:
"You must not incentivize people to use social plugins or to like a Page. This includes offering rewards, or gating apps or app content based on whether or not a person has liked a Page. It remains acceptable to incentivize people to login to your app, checkin at a place or enter a promotion on your app’s Page."
What is a Facebook Like-Gate?
For over 5 years, Facebook Like-Gates have been one of the most effective ways of growing LIKES on Facebook company pages. Facebook Like-Gates apps essentially allow companies to hide content within their Facebook page tabs which is only presented when the user has liked the company page.
Why Facebook is Doing This
Here is another direct quote from Facebook regarding this issue:
"To ensure quality connections and help businesses reach the people who matter to them, we want people to like Pages because they want to connect and hear from the business, not because of artificial incentives. We believe this update will benefit people and advertisers alike."
Facebook wants their users to LIKE company pages on their own accord, not because they wanted to enter some contest or get some freebie from the page.
Facebook says this new change will “ensure quality connections and help businesses reach the people who matter to them.”
What It Means to Facebook Company Pages
If companies are using Like-Gating or Fan-Gating apps to present different content to their fans, as of November 5, these apps will no longer work.
Also, if companies try to produce any new Like-Gating apps these apps will not work at this point. Existing apps that have already been created will discontinue working as of November 5.
Tips for How to Keep Growing Your Fan Base Without Like-Gating
- Focus on producing interesting, shareable content - Think about what your fan community wants to read and provide this information to them. Be original and produce sharable, interesting content for them.
- Run promotions that don't require that people LIKE your page - It’s a common practice to require people to ‘LIKE’ a Facebook page before entering a contest or claiming a coupon. Think of new ways to run promotions without people needing to LIKE your page. Imagine running a promotion with no strings attached!
- Build your own fan base organically - Stay away from Facebook LIKE advertising - In my opinion spending money on these type of ads is a total waste of your money and resources
- Put a Facebook Module on your website so people can LIKE your page from your website.
Does this mean a business should abandon their Facebook Page?
In my opinion, No. Companies will simply need to create a new strategy for growing their fanbase Likes.
There are still a 3 important reasons to continue to maintain a Facebook Company Page:
- 1.2 billion people are using Facebook - This is a still a huge market that can be used for paid advertising.
- Facebook Pages can help you engage and interact with your customers.
- Facebook Pages help your business be found with Search Engines.
What Changes are Ahead in the Future for Facebook Company Pages?
You can expect to continue to see changes with Company Facebook Pages in the future, some positive and others negative.
This Facebook Like-Gating change should ensure that people who like Company Facebook Pages are doing so because they want to interact with the company. Perhaps businesses may see an increase in their fan engagement once they find that the fan base they are building is full of true fans of their brand, not people who only liked the Page for a chance to win an contest or coupon.